Monday, December 13, 2010

Illustration Friday: Phenomenon


Some of you may not think snow fall is much of a phenomenon, but where I grew up in southern CA, it never snowed. I can remember one time when it hailed for quite a while...it was wet and slushy and covered the grass outside my house. All the kids were out running around trying to pack it into snowballs and to throw at each other...seems like another lifetime now. I went from wishing it would snow just once, when I was a kid, and now wishing I was back somewhere warm where it didn't snow. "I guess the grass is always greener" huh? Here is a quick pic I did up for this weeks topic. About an hour in painter and a little photoshop. Hope ya like it.

9 comments:

Linda Hensley said...

Very cute. I remember when snow was fun. Now I look out the window and grumble about having to shovel it :)

Unknown said...

Wow- still trying to figure out how to do something this nice in an hour. Digital definately isn't faster for me- yet. Nice job on the flakes!

Patti said...

Really Cute image! Nice Job.

BEER said...

Yes I remember when it snowed in California so much fun. Well I use to have a cabin in Big Bear so I was in the snow a lot back then. shoveling is not that fun after the first few hours. hahaha Nice post and great use of color.

Rob Colvin said...

Great Lael! I know I can't whip something out that fast digitally, but it is way faster than painting.

MrBibleHead said...

Great post Lael! Love the character and the idea! I see a lot of snow here in Chicago... but it still tickles my wonderment bone!

k.h.whitaker said...

fabulous, wow you are fast!

Lael Henderson said...

thanks everyone...nice to see some comments. it's been a long time since I've posted regularly and I didn't think anyone visited my blog anymore. I must confess I had the snowflakes done already, so this was just a really quick sketch and duplicated the flakes around on a couple of layers in photoshop.

Kayleen West - Children Author/Illustrator said...

Ijay I love your skin. You really capture it well (also in your prehistoric image). Keep posting as your work is inspiring. Would love to hear about your working methods too.